[User Picture]
From:ultidestru
Date:March 7th, 2005 02:11 am (UTC)

(Link)
This imomus LJ entry reminded me a little bit of Scott McCloud's book "Understanding Comics". This book is far from perfect, but it's still worth library check-out, if nothing else. And it's a pretty quick read so go for it, fellow Realists!

Anyway, McCloud talks about a lot of things in this book, but one is about how the simply drawn Charlie Brown evokes more sympathy than, say, a much more realistically drawn Mary Worth or Price Valliant. McCloud speculates that this is because a photograph of a person is the likeness of one person, a simplified drawing of that photograph could be the likeness of hundreds of people, a more simple cartoon-y drawing could describe thousands of people and so on, until you reached a level of abstraction of the smiley face, in which case it's so abstract it could be used to describe just about everyone. Charlie Brown is simple enough that we can identify with him and "become" him. McCloud explains it more lucidly but I guess that's the basic idea.

Not exactly what imomus was talking about but anyway.

^^UD^^

> Go to Top
LiveJournal.com