?

Random Shit, vol. two - The Livejournal Realists

> Recent Entries
> Archive
> Friends
> Profile

January 17th, 2005

Previous Entry Share Next Entry
ultidestru
09:02 am - Random Shit, vol. two
I know what I'm about to say isn't true, y'know, like ontologically, but for the purpose of discussion grant me some leeway won't ya?

Okay, Japanese people are too slow to question the status quo and are too concerned about the opinions of others. I remember being shocked when I discovered there even WAS a teacher's union here (what the hell are those fucks DOING, anyway?) and you here the phrase "It can't be helped" more often than not NOT in regards to acts of God, but rather acts of man, which of course CAN be helped. Foreign cultures are an easy target when you're addressing others from outside that culture, and I get sick of a lot of the knee-jerk insulting I hear from fellow expats about Japan. But regardless, I think the above is more true than not.

Americans, on the other hand, are too arrogant, I think. "Arrogant" is actually not quite the right word, but I can't find another one ("lack of humility", maybe?). Anything that might suggest that someone is "better" than someone else is off limits. Americans say things like "We're the greatest country in the world" despite never having been anywhere else. I think the current administration is a good example of this quality at its worst.

We artists tend to have our fair share of pigheaded arrogance. A friend of mine (identity protected) recently wrote about his past on his livejournal, and when people complimented him in the comments section saying things such as "Good story" he jumped on their backs, saying that it wasn't a story, but was in fact "kind of his fucking life". Okay, first off, he's wrong. What he's written on his livejournal is no more his life than a photograph of a hamburger is something you can eat. But on top of that, he was literally saying "Fuck you" to people that were COMPLIMENTING him! There seemed to be a very disturbing unwillingness to really even listen to what they were saying. I have to say, it actually kind of pissed me off the way he flew off the handle.

I usually don't react so violently, but I too am probably guilty of "what do you know" defensiveness when it come to criticism. I dunno, there might be a few Picassos and Dostoevskys out there that are the kings, that probably don't have anything to learn from anyone in terms of a "teacher-student" relationship, but for the rest of us, well. There's a LOT I have to learn yet about making comics (my chosen artform). Right now I'm working on the art of crafting a story itself. In the past I've kind of faked my way through it, which was probably okay when you're writing something that'll take someone 10 minutes to read. What I'm working on now will be more than three times longer than anything I've ever done, and the reader getting bored suddenly becomes a real issue. Holding interest is a very subtle skill, but an important one that I need to develop. I'm swallowing my pride and reading books on the subject.

Like each and every living soul in Japan, you can take humility to an unfruitful extreme. If you start talking about target markets and shit like that than you're probably not creating art anymore. "But at the end of the day" blah blah blah blah

(2 comments | Leave a comment)

Comments:

[User Picture]
From:vogdoid
Date:January 25th, 2005 09:31 am (UTC)

You better not mess....with American Pride!

(Link)
dude, sorry I so slow to respond to this.

First of all, let me say that this link will MAKE YOUR COMPUTER WANT TO TAKE A BATH. It's totally safe for work viewing, but CREEPY BEYOND BELIEF.

http://www.prussianblue.net

Actually, I could tell you what the teacher's union are doing. They did a lot, maybe not in the way that we think of it, but still a lot. Though now they have been rendered harmless by the gov't.

"It can't be helped" more often than not NOT in regards to acts of God, but rather acts of man, which of course CAN be helped.
-This is so true it makes me want to go to sleep in a featherbed of truth.

Americans say things like "We're the greatest country in the world" despite never having been anywhere else.
-I have read this, and let me just say in defense of America that there are a lot of ways to measure greatness. The weight of all our citizens, for instance, is pretty great, as is the length of all our roads and the destructive power of our nuclear arsenal. When you are looking at "greatness" overall, I guess it's a question of how you add these different things up. For instance, does one pound of citizen = one mile of road = one bucket of unburned ligmite coal?

written on his livejournal is no more his life than a...
-At this point, allow me to point out that you CAN eat a photograph of a hamburger, IF it's printed out. Of course, if it's a digital photo, there's no way to eat it, even though you could possibly eat the display screen or the storage medium (in which the digipic resides). So I guess you are getting into metaphysical territory here: What constitutes a photo? What does it mean to "eat" something anyways? These are important questions you raise.

In conclusion, I was really impressed with the bit I saw of your current project. The world needs more of you, my friend! Read away! (What about these Will Eisner books everyone suddenly is gushing about?)

HBL,
-Vogdoid
[User Picture]